Peripheral neuropathy, a result of damage to your peripheral nerves, often causes weakness, numbness and pain, usually in your hands and feet. It can also affect other areas of your body. 20 million Americans are affected and the number is growing due to prescription drug use for unrelated conditions.
Your peripheral nervous system sends information from your brain and spinal cord (central nervous system) to the rest of your body. Peripheral neuropathy can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic problems, inherited causes and exposure to toxins. One of the most common causes is diabetes mellitus.
People with peripheral neuropathy generally describe the pain as stabbing or burning. Often, there's tingling. In many cases, symptoms improve, especially if caused by a treatable underlying condition.
The four main causes for Peripheral Neuropathy are:
- Spinal Stenosis
- Drug Toxicity (chemotherapy and statin drugs most common)
- Nutrient Deficiency
Our approach is different.We attempt to find the underlying factors and address them specificially. Most of our patients have a combination of underlying causes, which is why no single treatment modality can work.
We use a combination of :
- topical nutraceuticals (placed directly on hands, feet or legs)
- oral nutraceuticals (to aid in nerve repair and recovery)
- spinal decompression to treat nerve irritation as a result of spinal stenosis
- cold laser on involved areas for nerve and vessel recovery
- electrotherapy to stimulate nerve and vessel recovery
- targeted exercises to improve function
- balance training if needed
This thorough approach is needed to give the patient the best possible chance of relief and recovery.
In pain? We can help! Get fast relief from low back pain, herniated disc problems, headaches, neck pain, shoulder pain, sciatica, knee pain, foot pain, neuropathy, fibromyalgia.
Call (724) 443-8444 now for a no-obligation consultation.
Dr. Kris D Gongaware, DC and Associates
Peripheral Neuropathy Problems Gibsonia
Gibsonia Spine, Sport & Health